Sunday, June 5, 2011

Counting my blessings, especially the little ones!

So, my handsome husband preached this morning from 1 Peter 4:12-14 and 5:6-11.  He titled his sermon "Doing it God's Way"...my FL panhandle (and proud of it!) summary is basically "suffering is gonna happen, so don't wallow in it!  It is for your betterment and will end, eventually."   These scriptures really spoke to me, especially where Peter (I can only imagine him saying this firmly but with a smile) says " Humble yourselves, therefore under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  You see, I've had plenty of things to be anxious about (3 significantly sick grandparents that I love dearly and don't get to see often enough, my hair falling out in patches due to my stress from work...blah, blah, blah)...but that's not what I want to write about!  Despite all these worries, God has spoken to me all week!  He sent a beautiful girl, who was in my very first girls' accountability class in 2004! to surprise me at my home with a quiche!!!  Yall who know me best, know I love good food and I have been happily eating on that the last few days!  We had a moving communion service this morning that left me smiling for an hour.  Then I decided to go to Wally World and get a pool for the girls..you know those hard plastic ones with all the fish wearing snorkels smiling at you?  We'll I decided since I was going "chincy" on the girls' pool, I'd get the cadillac of the cheapo pools...and the biggest! with a slide!  Forgot I only have a Ford  Explorer!  So as I was struggling to somehow cram this huge circle into my rectangular vehicle fussing at my self for once again doing something "blonde", when a nice older gentleman offered to put it into the back of his truck and follow me home with it.  Ok, so I know what you're thinking...not the thing to do in this day and time.  But something told me it would be alright.  He had his 2 year old granddaughter with him, who was dressed to the nines complete with boutique bow and embroidered pinafore and he was dressed just like my dad!  I know Columbia fishing shirts are not exactly a character qualifier...but something inside of me said, "let him help you!"  So I did and he was so kind!  Come to find out he is a very good friend of members of my church!  So instead of what could have been another frustrating afternoon (did I mention that Robert has gone to Annual Conference for a week?), it was a heartwarming one. 

Thank you, Lord for all these things, good and bad...but especially for the little things that bring unexpected encouragement!  And so, I will hold on to this: " And the God of grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.  To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen"

May you all revel in His blessings this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment